Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin


Rarely There

A collection of discourses - myriad, profound, uplifting...
Bah! Who am I kidding?!
It is just a blog.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sewing: Patchwork Cushion Covers



I love patchwork quilts. There is something about the mish-mash of colors and shapes sewn together that makes it very endearing, especially when it is reclaimed, recycled fabric.

Of course, I don't have the patience (or time) anymore for large quilting projects, so, cushion covers come in handy, satisfying the need for fresh covers and my longing to make some patchwork.

The half a dozen cushions we have at home get fresh cushion covers on and off when I have the mood to make a new one.

Sometimes it is a theme that gets repeated - like peacock, elephant, flower between place mats and cushion covers; sometimes it is the craft method - like appliqué, embroidery, painting, paste batik, or patchwork as in this case, which uses up scraps of fabric leftover from other sewing projects.



For this project, I went with sorting the scraps by color and using the reds+pinks for one pair, the yellows for another, the blues for the third pair. The closest matching or contrasting print from my stash became the back of the cushion cover. I liked the chicken print a lot for the yellows.



Of course, these are well-worn as can be seen from the threads fraying. I should trim them, but something about hanging threads gives it an instant antique and warm feel.

Of course, "Antiques" in D's book has always meant "A Bunch Of Junk That People Didn't Want But Want You To Think You Want Them So As To Feel Good"... and, I am not disagreeing with him. I guess rustic and antique evoke feelings of a cozy home where things are well-appreciated, usually hand-made, and much-used...

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

Dear Sheela,

I know I have told this a dozen times and more in diff words, but just had to tell this again!

You are such a talented joyful girl and your kids are so lucky to have you!!!

Love your cushion covers!! Ever thought about ETSY?

3:53 PM  
Blogger Sheela said...

SO sweet of you Kay! I am smiling and re-reading your words :) Thank you very much, I appreciate it a lot!!

Yeah, thought about etsy... never got down to opening a store - wanted to make stash of items before opening and decided who's going to pay in this economy for hand-made fancy when folks are struggling for mortgage/rent and water payments... something about it felt frivolous, so, decided not to open just yet... maybe when kids are older...

7:30 PM  
Blogger EditorK said...

Hi Sheela,

I've linked to your project on AllFreeSewing.com and you can see the link here:

http://www.allfreesewing.com/Sewn-Pillows/Patchwork-Cushion-Covers

I think it's a great project our readers will love to make. If you have any questions or you have other projects you'd like to see on the site, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Kirsten
Editor
AllFreeSewing.com

9:03 AM  
Blogger Sheela said...

Hello Kristen,

Thank you for stopping and for the the link to this project at AllFreeSewing.com.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

Not frivolous at all, sheels! There are a lot of people who are looking for handmade beautiful pieces of art (like yours that brings joy)as an alternative to buying store bought mass produced junk.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older